Unitarian Universalist (UU) or Pagan

Are there any non-denominational (ie non Christian) religious services or groups in English (Spanish or German) in Taiwan?
Preferably UU or Pagan?
Or does anyone else on here identify as such?
Feel free to PM me if you dont want to out yourself to the interwebs. Its a sensitive topic and Im prepared to receive all the “omg Satanist you need Jesus” comments :slight_smile: )0(

2 Likes

There was this one brother who observed the old Norse seasonal festivals, Search isn’t working right now

That seems unlikely :slight_smile:

No fuckin kidding :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I actually know a Satanist back home. Nice guy.

2 Likes

@bismarck ?

No, the only seasonal festival he observed was Get Fucked Up when You Visit Taipei

Not that there’s anything wrong with that

1 Like

No, that’s actually a better festival

1 Like

This guy, @Fei-Fan

2 Likes

Iirc, there is/was a poster talking on Buddhism in English on this forum.

Sometimes/mountains may have English services.

https://www.fgs.org.tw/en/news/Detail/3

1 Like

@Rocket Who has awakened me from my slumber?
@GunslingerofGilead19 I can help you with anything Ásatrú related if this ist helping.

Heill ok sæll, bróðir!

ETA: I hope all’s well in Jötunheimr :+1:

1 Like

the Hare Krishna Movement, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), which belongs to the Gaudiya-Vaishnava sampradaya, or denomination. They have English services. though they say they are not religion, it looks close to UU.
https://www.iskcontaiwan.com/en/about

we are not a religion. Our teachers teach the process of self-realization. That is, to understand who I am? Do you ever think, who am I really? Why do I suffer? Why do I feel unhappy sometimes and happy sometimes? Is someone controlling the way I feel, or am I independent?

1 Like

I loved the UU community I had in college, but was getting the impression that there wasn’t much by way of UUs in Taiwan. Pagans (a surprisingly large percentage of the UUs I know) I would imagine even less so. If anyone knows anyone or wants to plan a gathering, I’d love to know

2 Likes

I would absolutely love to hold a gathering somewhere, given enough people etc. I just dont know about everyones beliefs and what they celebrate…

2 Likes

Again, not UU nor pagan, but non Christian religious group in English.

Vishwa Hindu Parishadh

Added: I think I overlooked it should be non-denominational. Then, I-Kuan Tao may be non-denominational.

2 Likes

While it is technically not incorrect to use pagan as an umbrella term including various Hindu, Buddhist etc. denominations, I suspect OP was referring to Eurocentric neo-paganism.

4 Likes
1 Like

Well, some people use this site religiously, so there’s that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty agnostic, but I did enjoy the more pagan-based rituals that were done in the UU group in college. Lots of candles, meditating, channeling good energy, and keeping away stress. Some nights spent out enjoying the moon. Storytelling. I do love to spend time with the energy that nature provides, though some might tell me that just makes me a hippie :wink:. I do miss that community appreciation and participation in those things… It’s hard to come across people anywhere who don’t think that’s very 邪教, even if you’re just lighting a candle and staring at it/meditating.

I have to admit, I don’t really understand a lot of the Eastern religions of the world, despite living here as long as I have, but in the West there seems to be this thought that Eastern religions are deeply rooted in the Earth. The lunar calendar comes to mind. How much that translates to what they do when they gather as a community, I don’t know.
The only form of an Eastern religion I see in public here is burning toxic paper and setting off firecrackers at all hours. I will respect that it’s their religion, but that’s certainly not what I’m after.
Not that pagans really worship in public, so I’m at a loss for how to find such people

2 Likes