Where can i find organic food + other food problems

hi! i’ve just moved to taipei for a short-term stay and have a couple of food-related problems/questions, would appreciate any :help: in figuring them out.

1. are there any good organic fruit and vegetable shops around? i live in tokyo and all organic shops have enough signs around to let u know they sell organic produce. is there something similar here? and how does one identify an organic shop (if there arent any english signs around) i’ve been shopping at jason’s (101 center) just wanted to check what the alternatives are

2. what’s the deal at those small shops with lots of different food in steel containers? is it possible to manage in one of those places without speaking chinese?

3. where’s a good place to shop for Thai ingredients – the curry pastes/ tamarind/ coconut etc

4. do those guys with the small movable stalls sell pork dumplings? how does one buy them? i mean are they sold weight-wise or per piece?

thanks for any help

There’s an organic food shop close to Takashimaya in Tianmu, it’s in the same block as the new Donut shop (just follow the cue …:slight_smile: ), sort of on the back side of the block in a little alley. I’ve only been once and can’t remember the name (something with so-and-so kitchen, but in Chinese), maybe somebody can give better directions??

Breeze Super (B2 level of Breeze Center on Fuxing North Road between Civil Blvd and Changan Road) has a selection of Thai curry pastes, canned coconut milk, and such.

You will have plenty of options for fried or steamed dumplings. Practically every street has one or two stalls. They are usually sold per piece.

thanks for the replies (i’ve never posted on ANY forum before so this has been a bit of an experience for me!)
:slight_smile:
also, what are the other good english bookshops (other than the 101 place) and which night market would you guys recommend for a combination of atmosphere, eating and shopping – in that order!

Page One in 101 is good for English books in general. Silex is good for children’s books and sci-fi. Caves is good for English instructional, children’s books and has some general English books. Eslite, FNAC and other bookstores will have a small selection of English books, but mostly literature/classics.

Shilin night market is probably the biggest in Taiwan, but it can be extremely packed at popular times. I prefer Tonghua Street night market personally. If you ever go down to Gaoxiong, Liuhe Street night market there is excellent.

threads on organic food:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ganic+food](Health Food Stores
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ganic+food](No-MSG Vegetarian restaurants?
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ganic+food](Hummus-- buying, making
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ganic+food](Western (American) style health food stores
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ganic+food](Health Food Store Near CKS MRT
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ganic+food

Thai ingredients:

• it might make sense to check the threads on Thai food/restaurants. Lots of (usually smaller) restaurants also sell ingredients. There is a tiny one on Tingzhou Rd Sec. 3 (Gongguan), north of the big market building that definitely sells different Thai ingredients.

book shops:
sticky thread [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/finding-english-books-in-taiwan/1037/1

HTH
Iris

Not sure if it has been mentioned already in one of the threads above but Jason’s supermarket at 101 has an organic food section.

Not sure if it has been mentioned already in one of the threads above but Jason’s supermarket at 101 has an organic food section.

There’s yet another organic food store in TianMu. It’s on the same street as Takashimaya. If you were to walk on that street (on the same side as Takashimaya) towards ZhiShan MRT station it would be about half-way. It’s on a corner with a stop-light across the street from a 7-11. It says something like “organic and vegetarian market” on the sign, in English.

Hi, I recently heard about a man, a frenchman, that makes compost here in Taiwan(Taipei) and grows organic vegetables. I was wondering if anyone knew about him or where I could find out more about him. I’m just interested in finding out more. I heard about this person from my Chinese teacher recently.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

i dont know about this guy, but i know many organic food stores!if you want to know some of them tell me and i can tell you where a few are.

Yes thanks I’d appreciate that info and if you know of any Health Food stores that sell herbal teas and other health related foods. I suppose stores that sell organic foods would also deal in related goods.
If you could tell me of any stores in Taipei city that would be great as well as any in Taipei County, I live Shi-Jir, if there are any. Thank you!

Know of any good organic health stores in the XinYi area?

the only ones i know are near Daan MRT, Daan Park, and a huge one, 4 floors, between the taipower building MRT stop and Kungkuang MRT.

Where specifically are the ones near Daan Park and Daan MRT? Which streets?

The one south of Taipower is Cottonfields, right?

[quote=“craighy”]Hi, I recently heard about a man, a frenchman, that makes compost here in Taiwan(Taipei) and grows organic vegetables. I was wondering if anyone knew about him or where I could find out more about him. I’m just interested in finding out more. I heard about this person from my Chinese teacher recently.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks[/quote]

The Sept 2004 issue of Taiphoon was on composting and they profiled foreigners composting and such. They might have an answer.

taiphoon.pristine.net

thetaiphoon@yahoo.com

[quote=“craighy”]Yes thanks I’d appreciate that info and if you know of any Health Food stores that sell herbal teas and other health related foods. I suppose stores that sell organic foods would also deal in related goods.
If you could tell me of any stores in Taipei city that would be great as well as any in Taipei County, I live Shi-Jir, if there are any. Thank you![/quote]

There are many other variaties to herbal teas in Taiwan if you don’t mind the price (NT 2000 to 3000 for a can, of course there are cheaper ones), they’re certainly organic. I haven’t been back to Taiwan for a while, but if you want I can ask my friend about a real good tea place when I chat with him on the phone next time.

Is there any list online of organic food stores, preferably near the Hsinyi area? Or even any organic food stores that have an online site?

I would like to find things like organic Flaxseed Oil, organic meats and seafood (or “natural” hormone/antibiotic free), etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice.