Documenting overseas income for Taiwan taxes

I’m looking for recent advice on/experience with documenting income derived from abroad so I can pay Taiwanese income taxes on it.

I’ve seen the following part in the “Documents Required for Filing” table:

Remunerations derived from abroad for services rendered within the R.O.C. need to be combined and filed together with domestic income. If a taxpayer receives remuneration derived from abroad, items from at least one of the following categories need to be submitted:
A. Documents verified by foreign local tax authorities.
B. Documents verified by a foreign local CPA with a copy of the professional license of the practitioner or notary public.

(If a taxpayer fails to submit the relevant documentation as mentioned above, his/her income from the filing year will be assessed according to the Standard Amounts by the Tax Office.)

Neither A nor B seem particularly convenient to get in my case. How strict is the Taipei tax office on this?

My situation is something like this: Originally from the UK but haven’t lived there for over a decade and no tax liability there. No employment income in Taiwan, but open work permit (gold card) with freelance income from UK and Japanese companies, where I issue monthly invoices depending on the work done and they pay me by bank transfer into a UK account. I have PDF invoices for both companies and international transfer receipts for the Japanese company (which are clearly labeled “Salary/Remuneration Payment”), but that’s it. So no documentation from foreign tax authorities. (To my understanding, HMRC doesn’t issue anything like that for non-resident freelancers. No idea about Japan - I don’t have any connection to that country besides the client.)

I’m happy to declare the income and pay tax on it, but rather disinclined to start looking up CPAs/notaries in two countries and having them extort money from me for stamping a few dozen invoices (if that would even be sufficient)…just so I can have the benefit of paying taxes. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Finally, that last part in the quote above - does anyone have any idea what “standard amounts” means here, i.e., what happens if I can’t/don’t submit that documentation?

I realize I may ultimately just need to go to the tax office and discuss it with them, which I’ll probably end up doing next week, but would like to have an idea what I’m in for first. (I also played around with the e-filing software yesterday and it does seem to let me input overseas income, but I believe I’m then supposed to mail in the supporting evidence.)

So if I go there with the invoices and transfer receipts, is there a chance that the worker has the discretion to take these as evidence when assessing the tax, or are they just going to charge me some standard amount based on what they think I should have earned? (Side point: If that’s in the NT$50-70k monthly income range or less, the “standard amount” might end up being favorable compared to what I’d be trying to declare, which would be an odd situation.)


No one? :slightly_frowning_face:

I have to file taxes this week, I’ll let you know. Maybe I will see you at the tax office.

I was planning to just show them a W2 from my US S-Corp, but if they need it notarized by local tax official in the US etc. I’ll tell them it’s not possible for me to do that right now.

1 Like


I went in person today but I couldn’t go in because my card ends in an even number. I will try again tomorrow.

1 Like

Oh that rule is in effect at the tax office too? I didn’t know that! Don’t we need to make an appointment anyway?

I didn’t have to make an appointment when I went in on April to ask some questions (the office was empty back then)

I guess you can call them and ask. You can also file over the phone, but I figure it’s easier to get things done in person.

I went to pay my taxes today. It’s my 2nd time filing taxes in Taiwan. This time it took about 15 minutes. They had everything on file and I didn’t have to do much, just gave them my tax forms, they didn’t ask notarization or anything, and they calculated everything, gave me some printouts, and I paid in cash at the local 7-11.

If you get a mean looking person at the counter, just leave (say you forgot something), come back, until you get a friendly looking person. Read the online google map reviews for employee surnames to avoid.

Also if you owe a lot in tax and choose to pay in cash at the local 7-11, you can probably impress some cashiers.


Thanks for getting back to me. A couple of follow-up questions:

How did they have your foreign income on file? I thought from your previous post that you had a U.S. company?

That’s funny about avoiding particular employees - I didn’t think that’d be a thing haha.

I gave them printouts of my non-Taiwan tax forms, they had my # of days in Taiwan already, so they just did a calculation based on that (i.e. 40% of time in Taiwan, multiplied by my W2 form, multiplied by tax rate).

Also my situation is a bit simpler perhaps, since I was a non-resident, so non-salary income doesn’t need to be reported, no deductions etc. Just a very simple formula.


I’m sure they’ve seen it all. Maximum allowed at 711 is $20000 anyways.


who did you impress and what happened next?

And how does that make you feel? :joy:

Just an update, now that I remember. The Taipei tax office did indeed accept a bunch of monthly invoices (and international bank transfer receipts, for the client for which I had them), which weren’t verified by foreign local tax authorities or a foreign local CPA as stated in the rules.

I took them there last week rather than attempting to mail them, which was probably a good idea as it took a while to explain everything. But ultimately the lady there didn’t seem to have a problem with what I submitted and said she’d contact me in August or so, when she has time to check them, if there are any issues.