Is Taiwan racist?

How many of these south east asian foreigners are represented in the parlement?

Also in the workplace; are these foreigners limited to low level work, or are there cases where these people have climbed the ladder and became the CEO and such?

The main problem imho, is that there are not enough foreigners in Taiwan and too many Chinese people that came here. So Taiwan is not a multi-cultural place at all.

When you put it this way, you make multiculturalism seem racist.

Which it may well be.

do you mean south east asian taiwanese? Or talking on foreigners? Or do you use the term of foreigners to describe non-Chinese (non-Japanese/Korean in Japan/Korea), as people in (east) Asian countries do?

If your definition of “racist country” is “contains people who are racist” then yes, Taiwan is a racist country. But so is every country.

2 Likes

:wall:

1 Like

A parlement (French pronunciation: [paʁləmɑ̃] ( listen)), in the Ancien Régime of France, was a provincial appellate court. In 1789, France had 13 parlements , the most important of which was the Parlement of Paris. While the English word parliament derives from this French term, parlements were not legislative bodies.

1 Like

Ok, if Monsieur Sampomixer is French I’ll take it under consideration.

1 Like

This thread title is so surface level in its obviousness. Obviously, there’s racism (both personal and institutional), but the worst of it is still directed at SE Asians (and Taiwan is still way less racist and nationalistic than other East Asian countries like South Korea and Japan). If you’re a white dude, you may be getting treated differently, but most of it is typical of the awkward intercultural interaction any outsider would experience in a foreign land. It’s not the same as being a Vietnamese worker here and being subjected to slave-labor conditions, because your skin is a shade darker.

So that’s definitely the lion’s share of the racism. That doesn’t mean if you’re white that you won’t be subject to true, ugly racism here, but I don’t think the rate of incidents is any worse than being a white guy in any other non-white country. And you get some preferential treatment to boot too.

4 Likes

Taiwan is quite racist but it’s pretty silly to expect racial tolerance in a country where 97% of the population are of the same race.

But where there any South-East Asian foreigners in the parlement?

1 Like

so, the answer to @sampomixer’s question is zero, with no argument?

If we change the definition of parlement to:

" La principale institution du pouvoir législatif en France. Selon la Constitution du 4 octobre 1958"

Then you might have a handful that identify as South-East Asian, but maybe not as “foreigners.” In general elected representatives aren’t furriners in any country .

4 Likes

At what percentage do you think racial tolerance should be expected?

2 Likes

Maybe 10%. Or close to that.

What do you mean 10% you mean there should be at least 10% none ethnic Han? Not sure what you mean.

If 10% of a country’s population are one ethnicity, that means the other 90% are other ethnicities.

I’ve come to just laugh at some of the racism of Taiwan. Some of them are just so ridiculous. A friend of mine is a teacher and her student told her she doesn’t like Mexicans because those people look like they’re dirty and work in a kitchen. Not sure what working in the kitchen has to do with being dirty or Mexican but ok…never mind that my friend is a Latina herself so…

Or I’ve heard some kids say they think Pinoys smell bad and they like to sit on the floor in the Taipei main station. But I guess to be fair anyone who sits there in a crowd in summer with no air conditioning would smell bad. Not really a pinoy thing. If you’re really that stupid I guess that’s the connotation you would make. It is a bit strange and maybe not so socially acceptable or normal to sit on the floor in groups like that in a public area though.

1 Like

Like nobody even knows the answer. You can’t figure out what I mean right, not a clue?

Exactly. The answer to what?