New Traveler Searching for the Best City to Live In

After my graduation from college in a few weeks, I will be moving to Taiwan to teach English. However, I can’t decide where I want to teach. I feel like online searches aren’t giving me a real feel for the cities. I’ve narrowed it down to Taipei, Kaohsiung and Taichung.

I want to go somewhere where there is beautiful scenery, close access to the ocean or forests, and lots of things to do. I originally thought that Kaohsiung was the most beautiful and that I would go there, but I’m finding lots of fun things to do in Taipei, I just worry the standard of living won’t be as high. Has anyone been to these places and feel passionately about one over the other?

Or have any tips where I could find more detailed information on Taiwanese cities? I checked Lonely Planet’s book on Taiwan but it didn’t have many pictures.

I’d be so appreciative for any information you could give me! :slight_smile:

-Brittany

Hi!
Here are a few links for starters. There is much, much more information on this BBS than those few links misght suggest - if you try the “search” function you’ll be amazed at what you find here…!
Have fun!

edit: added another thread

Taipei

/thread

people will come in here and say otherwise, but they will be wrong.

Really Taipei is the best all rounder. Theres really more to do PERIOD

[quote=“bfoote101”]I want to go somewhere where there is beautiful scenery, close access to the ocean or forests, and lots of things to do. I originally thought that Kaohsiung was the most beautiful and that I would go there, but I’m finding lots of fun things to do in Taipei, I just worry the standard of living won’t be as high. Has anyone been to these places and feel passionately about one over the other?
[/quote]
None of the cities in Taiwan are beautiful; none of them even have a beautiful nightscape, like Hong Kong. Taipei has the most to do, and the widest range of activities. Taiwan is small, so getting out of any of these cities to go to scenic areas is not difficult. Your money will go further out of Taipei, true, but if you can find a job the average teacher’s pay is enough to live on and enjoy yourself even in Taipei.
I would choose Taipei, and maybe live in Taipei county - the ‘suburbs’ are cheaper.

However, my husband just weighed in, and he thinks Taichung is better: he says it is far cleaner than Taiepi, and more attractive.