Chinese New Year – how much closes up?

Hi everyone –

I’m thinking of coming over around the 16th. I’ll be living in Taiwan for at least 6 months after that, but for the first few weeks I’ll be doing Chinese courses in Taipei. Im just curious about how much will close up during CNY and for how long? I’ve invited a friend of mine to come over with me so I’m trying to gauge how much we’ll practically be able to do during this time. So basically, when do food places open back up, do touristy things close down a significant amount of time, is travel around the island actually possible during this time? Questions like that and any other comments you’d like to add.

1 Like

Regular life these days is little affected by closures in Taipei - mom & pop places shut down, but most chains remain open.

Caveat: I live a very boring life, so maybe more things close than I realize, and I just don’t notice.

I try very hard to avoid travelling around the island at CNY, because last time I did it we spent two days sitting in traffic jams on mountain roads.

See …

7 Likes

Yep. And forget about getting train or bus tickets to anywhere.

4 Likes

New year’s Eve and new year 1-2 days a lot is closed, like a lot, difficult to find anything besides 7. Other than that it is not too bad.

I’m not so sure about that. Here for example is the Tianmu Sogo hours - if I’m reading it right (IF!), New Year’s Eve most of the store closes at 5pm, with restaurants open until 8:30pm; and then New Year’s Day is basically a normal day. Isn’t this fairly typical of most big businesses?

Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 5.07.58 PM

My general take is if I recognize the people who work there, and they recognize me, it’ll likely be closed. Generic big-chain stuff, not so much.

After all, by New Year’s Day, lots of people are pretty eager to escape their families and spend those red envelopes. God, they’ve been already had to spend one whole afternoon and evening together.

EDIT: Carrefour’s hours look similar: closing 5pm on New Year’s Eve; giving their employees lots of extra time off by not opening until 10am on New Year’s Day; and then normal after that.

Yeah, I was not including department stores. Sounds about right. I remember eating at Sogo one New Year’s Eve. Very sad to be in Taipei on that date.

1 Like

Better than being in Taoyuan.

4 Likes

If you want to see more, even if it is mostly a family holiday, go to the places that people grew up and left for work. Where the old people roam. there are enough markets and outdoor gambling going on to make it fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Night markets and old streets will remain open. They will be jam-packed though.

Very sad to be in Taiwan at all, the Philippines or Thailand, Bali would be better. Cold and rainy, boring here, mostly, Unless you like gambling.

go south. warm, dry and lots going on.

What, exactly, is going on? Beaches you’re not allowed to swim at in Kenting? The one open restaurant in Kaohsiung?

Visiting over CNY proper is not great; as mentioned, it’s kind of dead. I went out a few years ago thinking it’d be fun with a lot of festivities. Not so much. :smiley: Maybe invite them out for lantern festival.

Everyone is travelling after the first 2 days. Loads of markets, shows, gambling, food, drinks. Plus all the usual stuff that is available year round normally (beaches, forests etc).

1 Like