Tsai Ing-wen Again

Basically food with safety concerns are still banned, as they are in Japan as well. Other food products, such as noodles made nowhere near the Daiichi power plant can now be sold in Taiwan. Gunma and Chiba are especially ridiculous to still be on the list, since they aren’t even connected to Fukushima.

The 5 provinces have a combined area larger than Taiwan itself. Those who oppose imports from all of these regions hopefully should also be against building any nuclear fission power plants in Taiwan.

Interestingly, the party that vigorously opposes the import of food from these prefectures also supports the opening of nuclear power plants in Taiwan.

Guy

1 Like

…and vice versa

Allow me to again point out the “political ninja” side of things here.

Sticking to the lines drawn in the sand? That’s predictable politics!

Guy

Not really. The rest of the world set what can or can not be imported from Daiichi plant disaster affected areas based on science. High risk food products grown in affected area are kept out, but food manufactured in “near by” provinces are allowed.

China is the only other country that does a blanket region ban, which is why KMT wants to maintain the current ban as is.

The new rule will follow the international standards, and in addition subject food products to special screenings. If the products aren’t contaminated, what’s the purpose of the ban?

You can build a nuclear power plant and set parameters on its safe usage.

There are threads on this highly contentious topic. Read, post, enjoy!

Guy

We’ve had this same discussion on this site over and over since 2016.

I’m just glad instead of rehashing this stuff for political gains during elections, we’ve moved on and hopefully time and energy will be spent on something useful.

They are expanding geo-thermal power at Qingshui and there are private companies exploring more sites. If you want to talk about clean and safe renewable energy that can provide baseload energy for our grid, why not get excited about that.

The issue right now is consistency/hypocrisy. Not the merits of the issue.

Another thread for @OysterOmelet to check out!

Guy

The merits, as I see them, are Tsai’s incredible string of political ninja moves—from positioning herself as the rightful defender of the ROC, to putting herself in the lineage of CCK (!!!), to getting the same sex marriage law passed, to the US pork issue, to this. It’s quite the string of moves, and not at all predictable given the values of her green base.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

That’s the problem with our current voting system. The only core value of the green base is getting Taiwan’s independence recognized by the international community. All other considerations are up for debate, and basically whatever wins the most votes or gets more donation becomes the main value of the party for a time.

If we ditch the current archaic voting system for one that favors multi-parties, then we can have pro-independence parties that want to resume nuclear power plant 4, and pro-unification parties that want to importing Japanese goods from Gunma and Chiba which aren’t even connected to Fukushima.

That’s only way for elections to be determined by issues instead of being hijacked by what China might do if Taiwan clearly states its own sovereignty.

That’s great. I’m still waiting for that free trade agreement with the United States.

DPP seems to be doing a good job of that (at least better than KMT). Not having any core values but doing whatever it takes to get the votes (legally) is not a bad thing necessarily.

It’s the current voting system that forces parties to become more extreme in the core values. So you are delusional in thinking that one party is better or worse at this. Remove the current parties, new parties will come and split on the exactly the same partisan line. Put this voting system elsewhere, people will split on something else that can’t really be decided by elections but feels grandiose, say religion or race.

By the way, may I remind you that the core value of Chiang’s KMT was “supposed” to be pro-democracy and anti-communism?

Are you saying Taiwan’s political parties don’t have strong core values or that they do? I’m confused. My only point is that not having core values may be a good thing. It’s a slippery slope from “core values” to obstinate dogma. I admire & commend the DPP for doing what gets the votes even if that signifies a lack of core values (other than TI).

The green / blue divide is, as we all know, formed around the question of the nation and its relation to China—what Nathan Batto at Frozen Garlic calls “the China cleavage.”

Taipei’s Mayor and his presumably no-ideology party thinks he can sidestep this divide. It looks unlikely at the national level, at least for the foreseeable future.

Guy

C Donovan Smith continues his excellent work as a columnist at Taiwan News with his second article on the arc of Tsai’s career—and how she took control of the DPP at arguable its lowest point.

Guy

1 Like

Git’er done. Make this her legacy.

3 Likes

Her second term has been exceptionally good so far. Especially against the backdrop of godawful politics literally everywhere else these past two years. The only disasters I can think of were the train derailment and the fire last year, but those could’ve happened under anyone.

4 Likes